Metro Atlanta is gearing up for another winter storm. This week’s forecast calls for temperatures below freezing along with ice and a good dusting of snow starting Friday. All this winter weather can wreak havoc on your home if you are unprepared. Before the storm hits, there are a few simple steps you can take to avoid the mess and expense of the most common problem that comes with cold weather: frozen pipes that burst and cause water leaks, flooding, and damage.
Simple Checklist to Avoid Frozen Pipes
- Start on the outside of your home by disconnecting garden hoses. Drain the hoses appropriately before storing for the winter.
- Turn off water to outside faucets by using the valve inside your home. Drain the remaining water by allowing it to run until dry. Use insulated faucet covers for extra protection.
- Turn off your sprinkler system and blow compressed air through the lines to drain them.
- Then, move inside to close and cover basement windows and foundation vents.
- Keep garage doors closed. This alone can raise the temperature in your garage by up to ten degrees.
- Set faucets in kitchens and baths to a slow trickle overnight. This will keep the lines flowing and less likely to freeze.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warm air to circulate.
- Locate the main water cut-off and be ready to turn it off if a pipe does freeze.
If you’re lucky enough to catch a frozen pipe before it bursts, and it’s in a place where you can see and reach it, it is possible to use a hair dryer to thaw it. Hopefully, you’ll avoid the mess of a big water leak.
A tiny bit of preparation goes a long way before a winter storm hits, especially in Metro Atlanta, where snow can bring things to a standstill. With any luck, the next batch of winter weather will be just enough for sledding and a snowman, and your home will stay snug and dry throughout it.
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage with 40 years of experience in real estate sales and marketing. From new home construction to resales, we can help you find the home of your dreams. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/peggyslappeyproperties and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/psponline.