It’s cold out there, Metro Atlanta! Already, we’ve seen a few homeowners and tenants experiencing the headaches of burst pipes because of the below-freezing temperatures overnight. Replacing sheetrock, pipes, flooring, and trim is not only inconvenient but it can be very costly. Here are a few tried and true tips to avoid the mess and expense of frozen and burst pipes as a result of the cold:
- Disconnect garden hoses. Drain the hoses appropriately before storing for the winter.
- Turn off water to outside faucets by using the valve inside your home. Drain the remaining water by allowing it to run until dry. Use insulating faucet covers for further protection.
- Turn off your sprinkler system and blow compressed air through the lines to drain them.
- Close and cover basement windows and foundation vents.
- Keep garage doors closed.
- When temperatures are sure to fall below freezing, set faucets in kitchens and baths to a slow trickle overnight. This will keep the lines flowing since they get less use while you’re sleeping. Letting the water drip may not be enough to avoid frozen pipes; be sure it is a trickle.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warm air to circulate.
- Locate the main water cut-off and be ready to turn it off if a pipe does freeze. You may be able to avoid a big mess if you catch it early enough.
If you’re lucky enough to catch a frozen pipe before it bursts, you can use a hair dryer to thaw it, hopefully avoiding the mess of a water leak.
A tiny bit of preparation goes a long way when temperatures drop below freezing, especially in Metro Atlanta, where snow and ice can bring life to a standstill. Bundle up, Metro Atlanta! We hope you (and your pipes) stay warm until spring temperatures return.
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage with over 35 years of experience in real estate sales and marketing. From new home construction to resales, we can help you find the home of your dreams. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/peggyslappeyproperties and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/psponline.