This Halloween as our princesses and super heroes go house-to-house gathering tricks and treats, there are a few easy steps to take that will keep them safe and smiling. Some are the same ones we hear every fall, but others might surprise you:
- Trick-or-treat in a group and stay with your group. It helps to know your route ahead of time, too. The more parents accompany children, the better.
- Glow in the dark! Reflective materials and flashlights let drivers more easily see kids who accidentally wander into the street. The Center for Disease Control reports that children are four times more likely to be hit by a car on Halloween than any other night of the year.
- While it’s important to be seen, glow sticks should be handed out carefully to our youngest trick-or-treaters since their contents can be toxic even in small amounts. Hospitals see a marked increase in poisoning incidents involving glow sticks every Halloween.
- Parents, please accompany your children to each door as they trick-or-treat. Those under 12 should be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Avoid masks that impair vision. Kids need to be able to see clearly, especially when crossing the street. Face paint or make-up is recommended, instead.
- Finally, check every piece of candy before kids chow down. Wrappers should be intact, seams unbroken. Be wary of homemade goodies unless you personally know who made them.
Halloween is a great opportunity for kids to play dress-up and for neighbors to get to know each other. With a few simple safety rules, Halloween 2018 will be another great year of memories for your family and community, too. Happy Halloween!
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage with 35 years of experience in real estate sales and marketing. From new home construction to resales, we can help you find the home of your dreams. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/peggyslappeyproperties and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/psponline.