Brrrrr! It's cold outside and getting colder if the weather forecast is correct. Some areas of North Georgia may even see snow again! Now is the perfect time to ready your home for the coldest temperatures and avoid the costly repairs of frozen and burst pipes. A little preparation now can save you tons of money and hassle.
Simple Checklist to Avoid Frozen Pipes
- Start on the outside of your home by disconnecting garden hoses. Drain the hoses appropriately before storing for the winter.
- Turn off water to outside faucets by using the valve inside your home. Drain the remaining water by allowing it to run until dry. Use insulated faucet covers for extra protection.
- Turn off your sprinkler system and blow compressed air through the lines to drain them.
- Then, move inside to close and cover basement windows and foundation vents.
- Keep garage doors closed. This alone can raise the temperature in your garage by up to ten degrees.
- Set faucets in kitchens and baths to a slow trickle overnight. This will keep the lines flowing and less likely to freeze.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warm air to circulate.
- Locate the main water cut-off and be ready to turn it off if a pipe does freeze. The major damage of a frozen pipe comes after it has burst and thawed again, when flooding starts.
A tiny bit of preparation goes a long way before a winter storm hits, especially in Metro Atlanta, where snow can bring things to a standstill. With any luck, the next batch of winter weather will be just enough for sledding and a snowman, and your home will stay snug and dry throughout it.
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage celebrating just over 40 years in business. From new home construction to resales and so much more, we are Georgia’s most service-centric real estate company. Our topmost goal is to enrich the lives of those we encounter, one story at a time. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
This blog post and information it contains, including but not limited to plans, pricing, and financing options, may change without notice. Please contact sales agents for the most up-to-date information.
January 16, 2024