Closing day is just around the corner, and you haven’t yet decided how all your belongings will get from the old house to the new one. It’s time to consider hiring a moving company. But how do you choose a mover that won’t take advantage of you? Check out our 7 tips for hiring the best movers in the business:
- Require References. If you’ve found a moving company with a simple search online, always get references! Check social media accounts, Yelp reviews, and ask the company for legitimate references you can call to ask questions. Even when a company has been recommended by friends or family, it’s a good idea to ask for additional references. Remember, you can always check with the Better Business Bureau, too, to see if any complaints have been lodged against the company.
- Ask for a Detailed Inventory. Reputable movers will carefully inventory your belongings, checking them off as they are loaded on the truck and again as they are unloaded. Your list will be further detailed if the movers packed boxes for you. Be sure to carefully review inventory lists; you will not be able to make a claim for a missing jewelry box if it was never included on the inventory.
- Have a Thorough Walk-Through. The best moving companies will visit BEFORE your move to give an estimate by walking through your home. They’ll take into account things like flights of stairs, narrow hallways, steep entryways, and truck parking. Be sure to show them every item they’ll be moving, including behind closet doors and in attics and basements.
- Do NOT pay a large deposit up front. Good movers might ask for a small deposit, but beware those who ask for a large one or full payment before the work has been done.
- Never sign a “Blank” Contract. It might seem like common sense, but if you’ve negotiated the terms of your move on the phone and are presented with a contract to sign and assurances that those terms will be honored, don’t sign. Any contract should have every field completed before you sign on the dotted line.
- Review Extra Fees. Some movers will charge extra for climbing stairs, taping boxes, or draping furniture. Ask lots of questions during that required walk-through: Will there be an extra fee for moving the washer and dryer? Should beds be dismantled before the movers arrive? What recourse is there if items are broken in transit?
- Get quotes from multiple moving companies. It’s important not to choose a mover based solely on price. Obtain quotes from at least three companies, then compare references and extra fees. Remember, in all things, you get what you pay for, so decide carefully with all the information in front of you.
At Peggy Slappey Properties, we know that moving into your new home is an exciting and sometimes stressful time. Hiring a reputable moving company can greatly reduce that stress and allow you to enjoy the day. We hope these tips steer you in that direction. Happy Moving Day!
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage with 35 years of experience in real estate sales and marketing. From new home construction to resales, foreclosures, and rentals, we can help you find the home of your dreams. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/peggyslappeyproperties and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/psponline.