This Halloween as our princesses and super heroes go house to house gathering tricks and treats, there are a few easy steps we can take that will keep them safe and smiling. Some are the same ones we hear every fall, but others might surprise you…
- Trick-or-treat in a group and stay with your group. It helps to know your route ahead of time, too. The more parents accompany children, the better.
- Glow in the dark! Reflective materials and flashlights let drivers more easily see kids who accidentally wander into the street. The Center for Disease Control reports that children are four times more likely to be hit by a car on Halloween than any other night of the year. This is especially true this year, since the weather report includes rain, making it even harder for drivers to see clearly.
- While it’s important to be seen, glow sticks should be handed out carefully to our youngest trick-or-treaters since their contents can be toxic even in small amounts. Hospitals see a marked increase in poisoning incidents involving glow sticks every Halloween.
- Avoid masks that impair vision. Kids need to be able to see clearly, especially when crossing the street. Face paint or make-up is recommended instead.
- Check every piece of candy before kids chow down. Wrappers should be intact, seams unbroken. Be wary of homemade goodies unless you personally know who made them.
Finally, have fun! Halloween is a chance to play dress up and an opportunity to get to know your neighbors better. Truly, the chance of danger is very small, but following a few simple rules makes parents feel better and reduces that danger even more. We’re hoping the rain stays away this evening, and that all your pirates and fairies and little monsters get more candy than they can carry!
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage celebrating 35 years of experience in real estate sales and marketing. From new home construction to resales, we can help you find the home of your dreams. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/peggyslappeyproperties and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/psponline.
Photo by Pixabay via Pexels.com.