Did you know September is REALTOR® Safety month? It’s the time of year to reassess your personal safety measures as a real estate professional and consider new strategies in our ever-changing industry. At Peggy Slappey Properties, we encourage all agents to attend an extra safety class this month, review procedures, and take all the necessary steps to keep themselves safe out there in real estate land.
Join us at Braselton Farms in Hoschton on Tuesday, September 22nd for a REALTOR® Safety continuing education class taught by Eric Keese with Live Gigantic RES. The class is part of PSP’s Three for Free promotion running through October. Attend two of three FREE agent luncheons and CE classes, and you’ll be registered to win our Grand Prize – an Apple Watch Series 4! Seating is limited, so RSVP today at www.psponline.com/three-for-free. In the meantime, review a few practical safety reminders and be sure to implement them in your day-to-day.
Realtor Safety Reminders
- Stay aware of your surroundings by practicing the 10-Second Rule: pause for 10 seconds to observe before exciting a building, entering a parking garage or stairwell, or getting in the car. This could alert you to possible dangers lurking nearby before you enter the situation.
- Stay off your phone as you walk to your car.
- Never invite clients to ride in your vehicle.
- Park on the street during a showing, with your vehicle pointed toward safety.
- Be sure that someone in the office knows where you are when working with a client, then check in with them at appointed times.
- Dress “tactically” when showing homes; skip the high heels, skirts, and clothing that doesn’t allow you to run or fight if needed.
- Protect your identity and personal information on social media; many predators find victims through social media platforms, where addresses are too readily available.
- Carry pepper spray for personal defense.
- Use a smartphone safety app to alert colleagues or family of your whereabouts in case of an emergency.
The best way to beat an attacker is to deny them the opportunity. Be vigilant, trust your uneasiness as a warning, and always have a plan. As REALTORs®, we place ourselves in vulnerable situations every day. According to the National Association of Realtors, “33% of Realtors have experienced a situation that made them fear for their personal safety.” Minimize your risk by following common sense safety rules.
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage with more than 35 years of experience in real estate sales and marketing. From new home construction to resales, we can help you find the home of your dreams. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/peggyslappeyproperties and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/psponline.