Halloween is a great time to get outside and get to know your neighbors. Trick-or-treating is a fun adventure for kids, one they look forward to for months. It's important to keep your superheroes and princesses safe as they collect goodies from house to house, so we've got some tried and true safety tips to help you prepare for Halloween night.
- Children should wear reflective clothing and carry glow sticks or a flashlight.
- Do a practice run with costumes, making certain that they fit well, do not interfere with vision, and are flame retardant.
- Have a responsible adult accompany all children ages 12 and under.
- If over 12 and judged responsible enough to trick-or-treat without you, be sure those children stay in groups, keep to an agreed upon route, and are continuously watching for cars.
- Encourage kids to stay in well-lit areas. They should never take shortcuts and never go into isolated areas.
- Teach children NEVER to enter any home without you or without your permission.
- Reinforce the rule that goodies must wait to be eaten until they've returned home and been checked by an adult. Unless you know the person making homemade treats very well, it's best to stick to factory-wrapped candies only.
- Lastly, check your local police department's website for registered sex offenders living in your area. Let kids know to trust their instincts if they feel uncomfortable or scared; they should get away from the situation and immediately tell a trusted adult.
As your family gets ready for Halloween, we hope these safety tips help you feel more prepared and allow you and your children to have a spooky good time trick-or-treating! Be safe out there, and Happy Halloween!
Peggy Slappey Properties, Inc. is a Metro Atlanta real estate brokerage celebrating 40 years of experience in real estate sales and marketing. From new home construction to resales and so much more, we are a trusted market leader. To see our current listings, visit www.psponline.com and call us for expert advice at 770-271-5555. Keep up to date with the latest PSP events and offers by checking in on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/peggyslappeyproperties and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/psponline.